Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Wooden Cube

Christmas break brings me back to the place of my childhood, Northern California. My family lives on a 10 acre lot outside of town. We have a barn that became my father's workshop. I remember being in there with Dad and working on honey-do's that involved wood. That is where my box came from, my father's supply of wood. He had cut something similar for my mother years ago. This time it was for me and this project. With my canvas in hand, I began to doodle with a dremal on one side of the cube. There was no method to it, just letting my mind wander on to the wood.


After having completed my engraving, I mixed some paint up and splashed my favorite color on the top and sides with a paper towel and a sponge. Blue just so happens to be my favorite color.


And then there was the placement of the cube, along a trail my parents walk often. It's remote yet close to town. Most people don't even know it's there unless they are looking for a place to walk/hike. I placed in the clover for aesthetic purposes. I have to say I enjoyed working on something that people can connect with.





View The Inverted Box Locations in a larger map

2 comments:

  1. Daniel,
    Cheers. This is fantastic. The photos are beautiful and I love the reference to family. Thanks for your contribution, it is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this! especially the last photo. so poetic.

    ReplyDelete